Re: massive update on gin index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br>
Cc: Rob Sargent <robjsargent(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: massive update on gin index
Date: 2022-09-14 19:55:50
Lists: pgsql-general

Marcos Pegoraro <marcos(at)f10(dot)com(dot)br> writes:
> I know I have other options, and possibly better, but I was trying to
> understand what happens with gin indexes, just that.

GIN does have a "pending list" of insertions not yet pushed into the main
index structure, and search performance will suffer if that gets too
bloated. I don't recall much about how to control that, but I think
vacuuming the table will serve to empty the pending list. Also see

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/gin-implementation.html#GIN-FAST-UPDATE