Re: Better error reporting from extension scripts (Was: Extend ALTER OPERATOR)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Christoph Berg <myon(at)debian(dot)org>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, Tommy Pavlicek <tommypav122(at)gmail(dot)com>, Dagfinn Ilmari Mannsåker <ilmari(at)ilmari(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, jian(dot)universality(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Better error reporting from extension scripts (Was: Extend ALTER OPERATOR)
Date: 2024-10-11 16:08:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I tested it and it is working nicely. I tested it against Orafce and I
> found an interesting point. The body of plpgsql functions is not checked.
> Do you know the reason?

In execute_extension_script():

/*
* Similarly disable check_function_bodies, to ensure that SQL functions
* won't be parsed during creation.
*/
if (check_function_bodies)
(void) set_config_option("check_function_bodies", "off",
PGC_USERSET, PGC_S_SESSION,
GUC_ACTION_SAVE, true, 0, false);

I wondered if we should reconsider that, but I'm afraid we'd be more
likely to break working extensions than to do anything helpful.
An extension author who wants that can do what I did in the patch's
test cases: manually turn check_function_bodies on in the extension
script.