Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: HISTORY updated, 7.3 branded
Date: 2002-09-04 19:13:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Yes, now I remember, only SQL functions could return sets. How about
> this:

> PL/PgSQL and C functions can now return sets, with multiple
> rows and multiple columns. You specify these functions in the
> SELECT FROM clause, similar to a table or view.

C functions have always been able to return sets too; you don't honestly
think that a SQL function can do something a C function can't, do you?

There are really two independent improvements here: one is the ability
for plpgsql functions to return sets, and the other is a group of
improvements that make it easier to use a function-returning-set,
independently of what language it's written in.