Re: Question on how to use to_timestamp()

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Deven Phillips <deven(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question on how to use to_timestamp()
Date: 2016-02-14 04:06:51
Lists: pgsql-general

Vitaly Burovoy <vitaly(dot)burovoy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On 2/13/16, Deven Phillips <deven(dot)phillips(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm trying to convert a series of ISO8601 strings into TIMESTAMPs for use
>> with a function: ...

> If your data is already in a correct ISO8601 format, you can use a
> direct cast to timestamptz type:

Yeah. 95% of the time, the answer to "how to use to_timestamp()" is
"don't". The native input converter for the date/timestamp/timestamptz
data types is perfectly capable of parsing most common date formats,
with a lot less muss and fuss than to_timestamp. At worst you might have
to give it a hint about DMY vs. MDY field ordering via the DateStyle
setting. If your input is YMD order then you don't have to worry about
that at all.