Re: 7.2.3 -> 7.3.2: timeofday(), server crashed

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "A(dot)Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: 7.2.3 -> 7.3.2: timeofday(), server crashed
Date: 2003-04-03 15:02:42
Lists: pgsql-admin

"A.Bhuvaneswaran" <bhuvansql(at)myrealbox(dot)com> writes:
> Since in 7.3.2 the default timestamp is without timezone, the below
> command fails:

> # CREATE TABLE history_log (history_id text, ctime timestamp default
> timeofday());
> ERROR: Column "ctime" is of type timestamp without time zone but default
> expression is of type text
> You will need to rewrite or cast the expression

This is unrelated to the change in the with/without time zone default;
it happens because we have tightened up the rules for implicit casting.

> Further, due to the above reason, while restoring, the server is crashed.

> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "602869" at character 1
> LOG: server process (pid 31373) was terminated by signal 9

This is also unrelated. There is no scenario in which a parse error
will lead to signal 9. I would guess that you have one of the versions
of Linux in which the kernel will issue kill -9's against
randomly-selected user processes anytime it starts feeling low on
memory. Buying more RAM or increasing swap space is the best answer
AFAIK.