Re: pg_dumpall behavior in 9.1beta1

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dumpall behavior in 9.1beta1
Date: 2011-05-13 14:29:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Rajesh Kumar Mallah <mallah(dot)rajesh(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> We migrated to 9.1beta1 from 9.0.x in our development environment.
> we shall report if any significant problems or issue arises out of this.

> one small thing that we observed rite now regarding pg_dumpall output is that

> the ALTER USER is referring to some db objects which are not created yet
> and this raises an ERROR this may cause some inconvenience where restoration
> is being carried out in a txn .

> example of relevant sql lines is given below

> CREATE ROLE pdns;
> ALTER ROLE pdns WITH NOSUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEROLE NOCREATEDB LOGIN
> NOREPLICATION PASSWORD 'md56dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' ;
> ALTER ROLE pdns SET search_path TO pdns;

> in above line the 'pdns' namespace does not exists yet.

When I do that, I get a harmless NOTICE, not an ERROR. Are you sure you
are getting an error?

regression=# CREATE ROLE pdns;
CREATE ROLE
regression=# ALTER ROLE pdns WITH NOSUPERUSER INHERIT NOCREATEROLE NOCREATEDB LOGIN
regression-# NOREPLICATION PASSWORD 'md56dxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' ;
ALTER ROLE
regression=# ALTER ROLE pdns SET search_path TO pdns;
NOTICE: schema "pdns" does not exist
ALTER ROLE
regression=#