Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint

From: Gavan Schneider <pg-gts(at)snkmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: DEFERRABLE NOT NULL constraint
Date: 2013-02-08 12:46:35
Lists: pgsql-general

On Friday, February 8, 2013 at 19:34, Albe Laurenz wrote:

Gavan Schneider wrote:
>>Referring to:
>><http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/sql-createtable.html>
>>
>>I really must have missed something so am
>>standing by for the 'gotcha'... please supply :)

>Further down on the page you quote, it says: ...

Thank you, it had to be somewhere. :)

And this leads to a thought. Why is it that in this chapter the
documentation gives a synopsis which is not correct for the
current implementation but relies on a negation much further
down the page to properly describe the actual behaviour?

Mostly the manual follows the pattern of a correct synopsis
(where correct means what this version will actually do)
followed by a section setting out the differences from the
standard and/or other implementations.

While this chapter of the current documentation is not in error
overall it's a bit misleading.

Of course if anything is going to change my preference would be
to leave the synopsis in its SQL conformant state and bring the
implementation up to standard in this area, meaning we can drop
the contradiction/'correcting' paragraph. And, no, I'm not
holding my breath on this just now.

Regards
Gavan Schneider