Re: Can't run configure

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Williams, Travis L, NPONS" <tlw(at)att(dot)com>
Cc: "Nigel J(dot) Andrews" <nandrews(at)investsystems(dot)co(dot)uk>, "pgsql-general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Can't run configure
Date: 2002-09-16 16:28:31
Lists: pgsql-general

"Williams, Travis L, NPONS" <tlw(at)att(dot)com> writes:
> After playing with it for a bit I got it to compile by not using
> Gcc and using HP's cc.. Somewhere I thought I had read that you couldn't
> use hp's default cc.. and that you had to use the gnu gcc?

No, HP's cc is fine. It now sounds like the issue is that HP's cc
auto-defines some symbol that the 11.20 headers must have defined to
produce a consistent set of definitions ... while gcc doesn't :-(.

It would be interesting to see the output of

cc -Ae -E /usr/include/sys/socket.h

and

gcc -E /usr/include/sys/socket.h

(ps: please try to send them in a way that doesn't mess up the
formatting; your transmission of socket.h was rather badly mangled
by linewrapping)