Re: "order by" and "order by asc" returning different results on date field

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rick Gentry <rick(dot)gentry(at)zenus-biometrics(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "order by" and "order by asc" returning different results on date field
Date: 2018-05-15 18:59:53
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Rick Gentry <rick(dot)gentry(at)zenus-biometrics(dot)com> writes:
> I have a table that I'm using to log results from my system. It has a
> field "created timestamp default current_timestamp."

> Running the query "select * from tbl_log order by created asc;" works as
> expected.

> Running the query "select * from tbl_log order by created;" returns sorted
> chunks of 2000 records.

It's quite hard to believe that the ASC annotation affects anything;
it's easily proven that PG's parser creates identical parsetrees for those
two statements. I have to guess that there is some other effect involved
here.

To start with, what PG version is this, what do you mean exactly by
"sorted chunks", and what client-side code are you using? Can you
create a self-contained example of the misbehavior?