Re: BUG #14645: Can't use psql from within program used by "copy ... from program" script?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Norman <john(at)7fff(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14645: Can't use psql from within program used by "copy ... from program" script?
Date: 2017-05-06 18:28:04
Lists: pgsql-bugs

John Norman <john(at)7fff(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running this all locally on my laptop.
> I checkout stdout and stderr: Nothing.

Hmph ... how are you starting the server exactly?

I now notice that you're running on OS X ... what version of that?
Do you have SIP enabled? SIP has been known to break stuff like
this; in particular I'm thinking of its habit of silently suppressing
key environment variables like DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH at inopportune times.
If your setup is such that your psql needs that set to start correctly,
that could be a place to look for an explanation.

A related thought is that maybe PATH in the server is different from
what you have interactively, so that it's not finding psql, or finding
the wrong copy. Specifying a full path to psql in the invoked script
would help narrow that down.