Re: Window Functions patch v06

From: "Ian Caulfield" <ian(dot)caulfield(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Hitoshi Harada" <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Window Functions patch v06
Date: 2008-10-11 19:23:58
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2008/10/11 Hitoshi Harada <umi(dot)tanuki(at)gmail(dot)com>

> I'm afraid the patch was too huge, trying to send it again without attachment...
>
> I made up my mind to scratch former window functions and redesigned
> completely new execution model, based on the discussion with Heikki.
> Attached is the v06 against HEAD today.

Small nit - I get this from the following query:

postgres=# select a, sum(a) over (order by a) from generate_series(1,10) a;
a | sum
----+-----
1 | 55
2 | 55
3 | 55
4 | 55
5 | 55
6 | 55
7 | 55
8 | 55
9 | 55
10 | 55
(10 rows)

From what I can tell of the spec, the 'sum' column should contain a
running sum (ie 1,3,6 etc). You mention that window frames haven't
been implemented, but it seems like this case should return an error
rather than the wrong results...

Thanks,
Ian