Re: BUG #18576: Using EXPLAIN (VERBOSE) in information_schema.element_types returns ERROR: failed to find plan for

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: vasiliy(dot)boytsov(at)gmail(dot)com, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18576: Using EXPLAIN (VERBOSE) in information_schema.element_types returns ERROR: failed to find plan for
Date: 2024-08-09 15:25:27
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> Richard Guo <guofenglinux(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Agreed. Do you think it would be helpful to add some assertions to
>> verify the plan type?

> I thought about that but didn't experiment with it. I wonder whether
> it'd just make the code more fragile. Still, it might be useful to
> verify that things are happening as we expect.

After sleeping on it, I elected to add the Asserts as suggested,
except in v12 where they'd have had to look different. That's
not strictly a matter of laziness: v12's next release will be its
last, and I've been burned often enough to become very hesitant
about pushing even slightly-questionable code into an EOL release.

Pushed with that change.