Re: Odd "INSERT" Problems with PostgreSQL - Do YOU know?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jason" <jason(at)op480(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, php-general-help(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net, php-db-help(at)lists(dot)php(dot)net
Subject: Re: Odd "INSERT" Problems with PostgreSQL - Do YOU know?
Date: 2001-05-24 11:40:53
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jason" <jason(at)op480(dot)com> writes:
> The odd thing is, when I do these queries they do not fail, yet they do not
> insert.

Perhaps the php code is running inside a transaction block? If so, the
added rows won't be visible to other connections until (and unless) the
transaction is committed. The rows *would* be visible to subsequent
commands issued by that same php connection, though --- have you tried
checking that way?

> It still increases the serial primary key ("id")

This is consistent with my theory. Sequence-object bumps are
immediately visible regardless of transaction boundaries.