Re: Cygwin linking rules

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: Marco Atzeri <marco(dot)atzeri(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin linking rules
Date: 2018-10-02 17:07:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
> On 09/29/2018 02:13 PM, Marco Atzeri wrote:
>> [ proposed patch ]

> Yes. So there are a couple of things here. First, the dll has
> SO_MAJORVERSION in the name. And second it stops building any static
> libraries and instead builds windows import libraries with names like
> lippq.a.

I'm pretty much -1 on adding SO_MAJORVERSION to the library names.
It seems like it will cause churn to library users without really
accomplishing much, because when was the last time we changed the
SO_MAJORVERSION of anything?

I'd suggest that if we ever do change libpq's SO_MAJORVERSION,
that would be the time to append the suffix (so we'd go from libpq.dll
to libpq-6.dll). For now, let's not fix what isn't broken.

However, the .a linking definitely is broken, and if this way
of building fixes it, that's great. I do not have the ability
to test it, but we can throw it into the buildfarm to see what
happens.

> I think we should apply this to HEAD. If it's not too late it would
> probably be a good thing for release 11 - would need a release note.

I think it's too late for 11; we're too close to RC1, and besides
the problem this is fixing doesn't seem to manifest before my
recent port/common library changes. (If that's not so, maybe it
qualifies as a bug fix for back branches; but it seems rather
high risk.)