Re: Is it possible to call Postgres directly?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: david(at)andl(dot)org
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to call Postgres directly?
Date: 2016-04-21 03:05:21
Lists: pgsql-general

<david(at)andl(dot)org> writes:
> I would like to be able to execute SQL queries by a direct call into
> Postgres, without going through either (1) the language call handler or (2)
> a 'wire' protocol.

What would you consider to be "directly"? What advantage would you
hope to gain from a different API?

FWIW, it seems unlikely to me that we would consider anything much
lower-level than SPI to be an officially-supported query interface.
You could no doubt run a query by calling assorted backend functions
directly from a PL implementation, but it would be mostly on your
own head whether that worked and kept working across releases.