Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: Greg Stark <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: contrib/rtree_gist into core system?
Date: 2005-06-27 04:57:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Christopher Kings-Lynne <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Will you just remove rtree and make rtree indexes use rtree_gist instead?

That is in the back of my mind for 8.2 or so; I thought it'd be a bit
premature to propose it for 8.1, though.

The real bottom line here is that any devel effort we might put into
rtree would probably be better spent on gist. We have limited resources
and we can't afford to waste 'em on code that doesn't have a clear claim
to fame. As a contrasting example, I am surely not proposing that we
drop btree in favor of btree_gist ;-) ... but rtree has always been
marginal, and it's very hard to see where it can win over gist.