Re: BUG #7899: allow key word as alias in subquery but Can't reference it in outer query

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jov <amutu(at)amutu(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #7899: allow key word as alias in subquery but Can't reference it in outer query
Date: 2013-02-22 13:51:56
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"=?ISO-8859-1?B?Sm92?=" <amutu(at)amutu(dot)com> writes:
> xxx=# select end from (select 1 as end) t;
> ERROR: syntax error at or near "end"
> LINE 1: select end from (select 1 as end) t;
> ^

You need to double-quote the outer use of "end", viz

regression=# select "end" from (select 1 as end) t;
end
-----
1
(1 row)

In the context with "as", Postgres can tell the word is meant as a
column identifier not a keyword, but there's no way for it to know that
in the outer usage.

> I think use key word as alias should get a error message such as $key_word
> is Key Word,should not be used as identifier bla bla,so for some complex
> query error user can save a lot of time.

Well, yours is the first complaint we've ever had in that direction,
whereas we used to get a lot of complaints in the opposite direction,
back when we didn't allow keywords to be used for column names.
So I doubt we'll change it. It is an interesting gotcha though :-(