Re: cleaning perl code

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(dot)dunstan(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: cleaning perl code
Date: 2020-04-11 15:14:52
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com> writes:
> In summary, among those warnings, I see non-negative value in "Code before
> warnings are enabled" only. While we're changing this, I propose removing
> Subroutines::RequireFinalReturn.

If it's possible to turn off just that warning, then +several.
It's routinely caused buildfarm failures, yet I can detect exactly
no value in it. If there were sufficient cross-procedural analysis
backing it to detect whether any caller examines the subroutine's
result value, then it'd be worth having. But there isn't, so those
extra returns are just pedantic verbosity.