Re: pg_sequence_last_value() for unlogged sequences on standbys

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_sequence_last_value() for unlogged sequences on standbys
Date: 2024-05-03 21:22:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Wed, May 01, 2024 at 12:39:53PM +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
>> However, it seems to me that you should also drop the
>> pg_is_other_temp_schema() in system_views.sql for the definition of
>> pg_sequences. Doing that on HEAD now would be OK, but there's nothing
>> urgent to it so it may be better done once v18 opens up. Note that
>> pg_is_other_temp_schema() is only used for this sequence view, which
>> is a nice cleanup.

> IIUC this would cause other sessions' temporary sequences to appear in the
> view. Is that desirable?

I assume Michael meant to move the test into the C code, not drop
it entirely --- I agree we don't want that.

Moving it has some attraction, but pg_is_other_temp_schema() is also
used in a lot of information_schema views, so we couldn't get rid of
it without a lot of further hacking. Not sure we want to relocate
that filter responsibility in just one view.