Re: Problem: Temporary tables not really temporary tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Florian Schaetz <Florian(dot)Schaetz(at)Optitool(dot)DE>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Problem: Temporary tables not really temporary tables
Date: 2015-02-10 15:28:18
Lists: pgsql-novice

Florian Schaetz <Florian(dot)Schaetz(at)Optitool(dot)DE> writes:
> I've got a little problem with my postgresql/postgis server here: Sometimes, temporary tables (sessions?) seem to "survive", which in the end leads to a shared memory error, that can only be resolved by restarting (for a moment). This stops the shared memory error for a moment, but the sessions (and with them, the tables) are still there, even if there aren't any open connections left.

What PG version is that? Can you create a reproducible test case?
(It doesn't have to be "reproduces every time"; something like "run this
program long enough and it'll eventually fail" would be fine.)

We've heard a few previous reports of such things, but nobody ever
had it happen regularly enough to have a chance of isolating the cause.
So it sounds like you're doing something that increases the probability
greatly, and if you could bottle that, it'd be really helpful ...