Re: BUG #14471: PostgreSQL 9.6 "NOT IN" in select causes crash with "ERROR: unknown error"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josef Machytka <josef(dot)machytka(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #14471: PostgreSQL 9.6 "NOT IN" in select causes crash with "ERROR: unknown error"
Date: 2016-12-23 15:49:44
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Josef Machytka <josef(dot)machytka(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> So I checked all logs and it turned out one of databases involved vent into
> recovery mode because some of its connections was killed.
> Probably out of memory killer did it. So it caused chain reaction. And
> billing query was canceled "due to administration command" and it was shown
> through dblink as "unknown error".

OK. In that case I'm betting that what dblink saw was a network error on
its next attempt to send a command. I've not dug into the code to verify
this positively, but I think the behavior will be improved by Joe Conway's
recent patch,
https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=commitdiff;h=2f802d95b4904dbed3dfdca1b3a607cd085d2e20