Re: More along the lines of "WEIRD CRASH?!?!"?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Murthy Kambhampaty <murthy(dot)kambhampaty(at)goeci(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: More along the lines of "WEIRD CRASH?!?!"?
Date: 2003-03-18 19:02:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

Murthy Kambhampaty <murthy(dot)kambhampaty(at)goeci(dot)com> writes:
> I am not running initdb between tries to get rid of the corruption (I am
> dropping the tables that are created). However, the filename is not always
> the same (the repeated ones are almost certainly cases where I forgot to
> drop the tables between iterations):

Hm. This looks like ongoing data corruption to me --- the 'pg_clog'
failure is often the first visible symptom of a trashed tuple header
(or completely trashed page --- which is a case that we should detect
earlier, but don't at the moment).

Have you run memory and disk diagnostics recently on this machine?
I think it's dropping data every so often.