Re: max_stack_depth problem though query is substantially smaller

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bannert Matthias" <bannert(at)kof(dot)ethz(dot)ch>
Cc: Charles Clavadetscher <clavadetscher(at)swisspug(dot)org>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: max_stack_depth problem though query is substantially smaller
Date: 2016-04-08 19:39:41
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bannert Matthias" <bannert(at)kof(dot)ethz(dot)ch> writes:
> Thanks for your reply. I do think it is rather a postgres than an R issue, here's why:
> a) R simply puts an SQL string together. What Charles had posted was an excerpt of that string.
> Basically we have 1.7 MB of that string. Everything else is equal just the hstore contains 40K key value pairs.

Well, as a test I ran a query that included an hstore literal with 4
million key/value pairs (a bit shy of 70MB of query text). I didn't see
any misbehavior on a machine with 2MB max_stack_depth. So there's
something else going on in your situation.

I concur with the suggestion to try to get a stack backtrace from the
point of the error. Setting a breakpoint at errfinish() is usually
an effective strategy when you know that the query will provoke a SQL
error report.

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Generating_a_stack_trace_of_a_PostgreSQL_backend