Re: BUG #12344: libcurses issue with psql binary of Solaris package

From: Egoitz Aurrekoetxea <egoitz(at)sarenet(dot)es>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #12344: libcurses issue with psql binary of Solaris package
Date: 2014-12-26 16:55:40
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Hello!,

And by the way… have done some checks….

Have just build Postgresql 9.4.0 in Solaris 11.2 with this flags….

export CC='/usr/gcc/4.8/bin/gcc -m64'
export CXX='/usr/gcc/4.8/bin/c++ -m64'
export LDFLAGS='-L/usr/local/lib -R/usr/local/lib'
export CPPFLAGS='-I/usr/local/include'

later

./configure --prefix=/tmp/postgresql-prueba
gmake

Just for ensuring was a bug in some Solaris library…… and not a versioning issue (the package is compiled against or whatever….) or whatever…

/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql# ./psql
ld.so.1: psql: fatal: libpq.so.5: open failed: No such file or directory
Killed

It has not build libpq which I don’t really know why not… but like was just for the testing purpose…. have copied the Postgresql binary package for Solaris libpq.so* files….

/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql# cp /usr/postgres/9.4-pgdg/lib/libpq.so* .

Later…. have done a :

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH='/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql'
And voilà :
/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql# ./psql
psql: FATAL: role "root" does not exist
root(at)themachine:/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql# ./psql -U thedatabase -h localhost
psql (9.4.0)
Type "help" for help.

thedatabase=# aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
thedatabase-#
thedatabase-#
thedatabase-# ;
NOTICE: identifier "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" will be truncated to "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
ERROR: syntax error at or near "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
LINE 1: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
^
thedatabase=# select * from pg_stat_activity;
thedatabase=# aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
thedatabase-# ;
NOTICE: identifier "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa" will be truncated to "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
ERROR: syntax error at or near "aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa"
LINE 1: aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa...
^
thedatabase=#
thedatabase=#
thedatabase=#
thedatabase=# \q
root(at)themachine:/tmp/prueba-comp-postgres/postgresql-9.4.0/src/bin/psql#

It’s not being broken now…… So perhaps is that it was build against for instance Solaris 11 not Solaris 11.2 and some issue exist with that linkage…. done with a previous version…..

If you tell me how… I wouldn’t mind creating it for Solaris 11.2 again the Postgresql package and donating it to you….
What is the proper way of building in Solaris?? With libpq and all components?

Thank you so much,
Best regards,

Egoitz Aurrekoetxea
Departamento de sistemas
944 209 470
Parque Tecnológico. Edificio 103
48170 Zamudio (Bizkaia)
egoitz(at)sarenet(dot)es <mailto:egoitz(at)sarenet(dot)es>
www.sarenet.es <http://www.sarenet.es/>
Antes de imprimir este correo electrónico piense si es necesario hacerlo.