Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(at)eisentraut(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, walther(at)technowledgy(dot)de, Christophe Pettus <xof(at)thebuild(dot)com>, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Regression tests fail with musl libc because libpq.so can't be loaded
Date: 2024-03-25 23:43:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs pgsql-hackers

I wrote:
> Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> I had originally proposed to avoid anything beginning "LD_" but Tom
>> suggested being more specific. I doubt LD_PRELOAD can really hurt you
>> though (the linker probably only needs the value at the start by
>> definition, not at later dlopen() time (?)).

> Oh, good point. So we could simplify the patch by only looking for
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH.

I looked at the musl source code you identified and confirmed that
only the LD_LIBRARY_PATH string is remembered in a static variable;
LD_PRELOAD is only accessed locally in that initialization function.
So we only need to do the attached. (I failed to resist the
temptation to rewrite the comments.)

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-Don-t-clobber-LD_-environment-variables.patch text/x-diff 1.4 KB