Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] OR clause status
Date: 1998-08-05 14:45:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Hartwig <daveh(at)insightdist(dot)com> writes:
> Ran a few tests last night. So far, works great for single, non-internal,
> attributes. However, I was not able to get the query to use the table's oid
> index when such an index existed.

Perhaps this is an artifact of the type-coercion issue (see "indexes and
floats" thread on pg-hackers). I find I have to write something like

WHERE oid = 123456::oid

to get the system to use an index on OID. If I write

WHERE oid = 123456

it takes it, but does it by sequential scan :-(

I do not know if it's acted like that all along or it's a result
of Tom's type coercion fixes of a couple months ago.