Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick <mfitzpat(at)bu(dot)edu>
Cc: PGSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: PITR for postgresql-7.3
Date: 2007-08-13 17:37:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Mary Ellen Fitzpatrick <mfitzpat(at)bu(dot)edu> writes:
> I am trying to run pg_dump on the database with the corrupt table, and
> try to restore the database. I also tried to vacuumdb the database and
> get the same error.
> I get the following error.

> pg_dump <database>
> pg_dump: query to obtain list of data types failed: PANIC: read of clog
> file 100, offset 81920 failed: Success

That looks pretty bad --- it implies that there's corruption in the
pg_type system catalog, not only in your user table. Which in turn
suggests that it's not a localized problem but might affect many
different data blocks. I'm afraid that database is probably toast :-(.
An expert might be able to salvage something from it, but only with
great effort, and there'd be no guarantees of getting complete or
consistent data.