Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup

From: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Inherited an 18TB DB & need to backup
Date: 2020-05-17 04:05:37
Lists: pgeu-general pgsql-general

On 5/16/20 3:30 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
>>> Or WTF Tape??   :)
>>
>> Tape is durable, long-lasting, high-density, under your control, can be
>> taken off-site (don't underestimate the bandwidth of a station wagon full
>> of tapes hurtling down the highway!) and -- with the proper software --
>> is multi-threaded.
>>
> Don't you mean multi-spooled??? :-)

That's a superset of multi-threaded IO.

> Fascinating problem.  If the dump & load programs are designed to take a
> parameter for N drives for effective parallel operation, and N > 2, then
> things will run a lot faster.
>
> I can think of several ways the the data can be dumped in parallel, with
> various trade-offs.  Would love to know how it's implemented in practice.

An OS with asynchronous, queued, non-blocking IO, and a programming language
with callbacks.  OpenVMS has had it since since *at least* the early 1990s,
and probably mid-1980s.  I remember backing up an Rdb/VMS database to 10
tape drives at the same time. Typically, though, we "only" used six tape
drives for that database, because we simultaneously backed up multiple
databases.