Re: BUG #18372: Timezone documentation and use of TZ and PGTZ environment variables missing since version 7.4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jgrg(at)sanger(dot)ac(dot)uk
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #18372: Timezone documentation and use of TZ and PGTZ environment variables missing since version 7.4
Date: 2024-02-29 15:20:24
Lists: pgsql-bugs

PG Bug reporting form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> As far as I can tell, the documentation of the TZ and PGTZ environment
> variables read by the PostgreSQL still behaves as described in the
> documentation for version 7.4:
> https://www.postgresql.org/docs/7.4/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES
> but is absent from more recent versions.

Hm? PGTZ is still mentioned there, assuming I'm looking at the same
spot you are. As for TZ, it's now magic to initdb but not the server,
so the documentation mention moved. See this 9.2-era commit:

https://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git&a=commitdiff&h=ca4af308c32d03db5fbacb54d6e583ceb904f268