Re: pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql-server/src/interfaces/libpq Makefile
Date: 2003-04-22 03:49:38
Lists: pgsql-committers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> unlink (someone *please* tell me that that unlink in getaddrinfo_unix
>> is a brain-dead error...)

> Not sure --- that's why I added it.

After further research I conclude it is at best unnecessary and at worst
dangerous. It is unnecessary because Lock_AF_UNIX() will alreay have
unlink'ed any pre-existing socket file in the postmaster-startup case.
It is dangerous because there is no reason that anyone would expect
getaddrinfo() to have destructive side-effects. Certainly the
discussion of the AI_PASSIVE flag in the Linux manpage for getaddrinfo
doesn't suggest any such thing.

I'm going to remove it.