Re: Improving pg_dump performance when handling large numbers of LOBs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Wyatt Tellis <wyatt(dot)tellis(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron Johnson <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Improving pg_dump performance when handling large numbers of LOBs
Date: 2024-02-05 20:38:05
Lists: pgsql-general

Wyatt Tellis <wyatt(dot)tellis(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Yes, the LOBs themselves are tiny, but there are a lot of them (~150
> million) which seem to be slowing down pg_dump. Note, we did not
> design/build this system and agree that use of LOBs for this purpose was
> not necessary.

I don't know of anything much you can do at the user level. But there
is a patchset under development to improve pg_dump's behavior with
tons of blobs:

https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/842242.1706287466@sss.pgh.pa.us

That's intended for v17, and I'm not sure how tough it might be to
adapt to v15 pg_dump, but maybe you could make that happen. In any
case, more eyeballs reviewing that patchset would be welcome.