Re: pg_dump and server responsiveness

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Bryan Murphy" <bryan(dot)murphy(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql general" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump and server responsiveness
Date: 2007-12-06 03:49:29
Lists: pgsql-general

"Bryan Murphy" <bryan(dot)murphy(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> When we run pg_dump on our database, our web site becomes completely
> unresponsive. ...
> Does pg_dump create table locks? It doesn't look like an I/O problem
> as far as I can tell...

Only access-share locks, but that could still be an issue if anything in
your system likes to take exclusive locks. Have you looked into
pg_locks to see if anything's getting blocked?

pg_dump is entirely capable of causing an unpleasant amount of I/O
load, but that shouldn't result in "complete unresponsiveness",
and anyway your iostat output doesn't look like you're saturated...