Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>, Dave Cramer <davecramer(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Request for comment on setting binary format output per session
Date: 2023-04-18 15:51:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One thing I think we should do in this area is introduce #defines for
> all the message type codes and use those instead of having hard-coded
> constants everywhere.

+1, but I wonder where we should put those exactly. My first thought
was postgres_ext.h, but the charter for that is

* This file contains declarations of things that are visible everywhere
* in PostgreSQL *and* are visible to clients of frontend interface libraries.
* For example, the Oid type is part of the API of libpq and other libraries.

so picayune details of the wire protocol probably don't belong there.
Maybe we need a new header concerned with the wire protocol?