Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com
Cc: "'Scott Marlowe'" <smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Checkpoints are occurring too frequently...
Date: 2005-07-12 21:21:57
Lists: pgsql-general

"Greg Patnude" <gpatnude(at)hotmail(dot)com> writes:
> From: Scott Marlowe [mailto:smarlowe(at)g2switchworks(dot)com]
>> So, how often is this running? Once a second, once a minute, once and
>> hour? If it's only running once an hour, then something else is wrong.

> I've been running it about 2 or 3 times a minute on average... I increased
> the " checkpoint_segments" param in postgreSQL.conf from the "factory
> default' of 1 to 5... this seems to clear up most of the noise....

The "factory default" has never been 1; AFAIR it's always been 3,
and like many of the other defaults that's aimed for small-and-slow
machines. If you're not short of disk space, something like 30
is reasonable. (Note this can cost you 32MB per increment, so a
setting of 30 means you're willing to invest up to a gigabyte of
disk space in WAL. Time was when that was an astonishing amount
of disk, but no more...)