Re: BUG #17504: psql --single-transaction -vON_ERROR_STOP=1 still commits after client-side error

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com>, christoph(dot)berg(at)credativ(dot)de, pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #17504: psql --single-transaction -vON_ERROR_STOP=1 still commits after client-side error
Date: 2022-06-10 16:12:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

I wrote:
> ISTM that an appropriate fix would be to remember if any command
> failed, not just the last one.

Alternatively, one could argue that once we've decided to issue
ROLLBACK, there's not really any reason to continue performing
additional -c/-f actions, so that a sufficient fix would be to
get rid of the loop's ON_ERROR_STOP conditionality:

- if (successResult != EXIT_SUCCESS && pset.on_error_stop)
+ if (successResult != EXIT_SUCCESS)
break;

But I'm not sure that that argument is bulletproof. If we are
considering a client-side failure then the server may still think
the transaction is fine, in which case we should continue to
perform actions that could have client-side side effects; or
at least, not doing so is a potentially significant behavioral
change.

In any case, I now agree with Robert's upthread objection that
this should not have been back-patched. It's a nontrivial
behavioral change and it's not clear that it's 100% without
downsides. I particularly do not want to ship 14.4 with this,
because we really need a clean release with no new regressions.