Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alex Shulgin <alex(dot)shulgin(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Shulgin, Oleksandr" <oleksandr(dot)shulgin(at)zalando(dot)de>, Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, David Steele <david(at)pgmasters(dot)net>
Subject: Re: More stable query plans via more predictable column statistics
Date: 2016-04-03 05:18:57
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Alex Shulgin <alex(dot)shulgin(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 3:43 AM, Alex Shulgin <alex(dot)shulgin(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>> I'm not sure yet about the 1% rule for the last value, but would also love
>> to see if we can avoid the arbitrary limit here. What happens with a last
>> value which is less than 1% popular in the current code anyway?

> Now that I think about it, I don't really believe this arbitrary heuristic
> is any good either, sorry.

Yeah, it was just a placeholder to produce a working patch.

Maybe we could base this cutoff on the stats target for the column?
That is, "1%" would be the right number if stats target is 100,
otherwise scale appropriately.

> What was your motivation to introduce some limit at the bottom anyway?

Well, we have to do *something* with the last (possibly only) value.
Neither "include always" nor "omit always" seem sane to me. What other
decision rule do you want there?