Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "Justin Clift" <justin(at)postgresql(dot)org>, "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>, "Vince Vielhaber" <vev(at)michvhf(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: @(#) Mordred Labs advisory 0x0001: Buffer overflow in
Date: 2002-08-21 16:56:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <ZeugswetterA(at)spardat(dot)at> writes:
>> For that you would have to use "any", at the moment. This would give
>> you the same amount of type safety you have with "opaque", ie, none.

> I would have to use some pg_proc magic to make "any" appear there,
> since the plan was to not make it visible at the sql level, no ?

Huh? It'll be perfectly visible.

There is one little problem with calling it ANY, it turns out: that word
is fully reserved in our parser (and trying to make it less reserved
creates reduce/reduce conflicts). So unless we go back to "anytype"
you'd have to quote the name, eg
create function foo("any") returns ...
I do prefer using "any" because that's what we have historically used
in CREATE AGGREGATE, but maybe the keyword conflict will be too
annoying.