Re: Temporary Views

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rbt(at)zort(dot)ca>, Gavin Sherry <swm(at)linuxworld(dot)com(dot)au>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Temporary Views
Date: 2002-08-13 15:43:49
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I can go either way on this.

AFAICS "create temp view" would have some small advantage of keeping the
view's name out of possibly-public permanent namespaces, so the step of
just adding the TEMP option to CREATE VIEW may be worth doing. The
advantage isn't very big but neither is the amount of work.

Trying to prohibit non-temp views on temp tables strikes me as more work
than it's worth; that TODO item was written before we had dependencies,
and I think it's obsolete. Basically the point of the TODO was to avoid
having broken views --- and we have solved that problem.