Re: 10 missing features

From: "Nicholson, Brad (Toronto, ON, CA)" <bnicholson(at)hp(dot)com>
To: Radosław Smogura <rsmogura(at)softperience(dot)eu>, Leif Biberg Kristensen <leif(at)solumslekt(dot)org>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 10 missing features
Date: 2011-04-26 14:08:44
Lists: pgsql-general

For those types of systems - lack of a true audit log is probably a bigger barrier. The biggest "missing feature" are going to depend on your problem space.

> Form this what I was interested and saw:
> * I think he good pointed that logging indices, may be unneeded, as
> those can be recreated.

Whether this is acceptable depends on your system. Yes they can be recreated with a number of caveats

-performance for many systems will be poor until some (or all) indexes are back. If you have SLA's based around performance you can extend your outage until the indexes get rebuilt.
-Indexes are used to enforce primary keys. Are you comfortable running temporarily without your primary keys?
-Some replication engines rely on primary keys or unique indexes. Losing these could break replication for you.

I think if you could control this on a per-index basis though it could be a win.

Brad