Re: [HACKERS] Regression tests...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: chris(at)bitmead(dot)com
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Regression tests...
Date: 2000-02-08 06:06:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au> writes:
> Is there a step-by-step guide somewhere that tells me how to add a new
> regression test? I've had a bit of a hunt around, and exactly what to do
> to add a test isn't clear.

There's not that much to it, assuming you don't need any platform-
specific variations in the expected output. You make a script under
regress/sql/, add its name in an appropriate place in
sql/run_check.tests, run it, and drop the results file into expected/
(hopefully after manual verification ;-))

BTW, am I right in thinking that sql/tests is now dead code? If so,
we should flush it, or more likely rename run_check.tests to just tests.
Jan?