Re: 7.2 -> 7.3 timespan, interval etc.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-novice <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 7.2 -> 7.3 timespan, interval etc.
Date: 2003-06-05 06:04:33
Lists: pgsql-novice

Nabil Sayegh <postgresql(at)e-trolley(dot)de> writes:
> Some of our projects (7.2) use timespan() which for example evaluates:
> SELECT timespan('5 seconds');
> interval
> ----------
> @ 5 secs

Oh? I get

regression=# SELECT timespan('5 seconds');
interval
00:00:05
(1 row)

in 7.0, 7.1, and 7.2. I see this in the 7.0 release notes:

* The date/time types datetime and timespan have been superseded by
the SQL92-defined types timestamp and interval. Although there has
been some effort to ease the transition by allowing PostgreSQL to
recognize the deprecated type names and translate them to the new
type names, this mechanism may not be completely transparent to
your existing application.