PHP + PDO + PGPOOL = Segmentation fault

From: VladK <vladimir(dot)klykov(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PHP + PDO + PGPOOL = Segmentation fault
Date: 2009-10-27 02:59:44
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have a script which is written in PHP (5.2.8) + PDO (1.0.3). It's stable,
but actual version of PGSQL driver for PDO don't allow persistent
connections.

So we decided to use PGPOOL-II-2.2.5. It's configured to work in connection
pool mode with following settings:

# number of pre-forked child process (I know it's many, but we test from 32
till 256)
num_init_children = 256

# Number of connection pools allowed for a child process (tested from 2 till
10)
max_pool = 2

# If idle for this many seconds, child exits. 0 means no timeout.
child_life_time = 300

# If idle for this many seconds, connection to PostgreSQL closes.
# 0 means no timeout.
connection_life_time = 30

# If child_max_connections connections were received, child exits.
# 0 means no exit.
child_max_connections = 0

# If client_idle_limit is n (n > 0), the client is forced to be
# disconnected whenever after n seconds idle (even inside an explicit
# transactions!)
# 0 means no disconnect.
client_idle_limit = 10

no replication or parallel query support enabled.

When our script establish connection to PGPOOL, it can work well or can fail
with "Segmentation fault". Measurement shows that 40% of script executions
failed with "Segmentation fault" and always under heavy stress.

Does anyone faced with such problem?