Re: psql -e

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "D(dot) Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com>
Cc: Beth Gatewood <bethg(at)mbt(dot)washington(dot)edu>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql -e
Date: 2000-11-02 17:59:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

"D. Duccini" <duccini(at)backpack(dot)com> writes:
> other suggestions:

> 1. upgrade :P
> 2. try getting a newer version of just psql ?
> 3. have someone else run the queries and give you the output ?

Or

4. Run postmaster with -d2 and look in postmaster log to see what
psql is doing.
5. Read the psql source code to see what queries it will emit.

Suggestions 2 & 3 might not work so well, since the system catalogs
tend to change somewhat from release to release, and psql's queries
get adjusted appropriately. A query generated by a several-versions-
newer psql might not work as desired on Beth's 6.3 installation.

I like suggestion #1 myself ;-). 6.3 is roughly late Neolithic in
Postgres years...