Re: PostgreSQL Inheritance and column mapping

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Inheritance and column mapping
Date: 2014-10-02 14:00:35
Lists: pgsql-general

Achilleas Mantzios <achill(at)matrix(dot)gatewaynet(dot)com> writes:
> Was there ever any discussion.thought about being able to follow a non-strict by name
> column mapping between inherited tables and father tables?

No. You could use a view with UNION ALL perhaps.

(The subtext here is that past discussion of inheritance has generally
focused on *eliminating* differences between parent and child tables, so
as to make query planning and execution faster/simpler. That is, when the
discussion doesn't consist of somebody wanting to get rid of inheritance
altogether. I think the enthusiasm for supporting even-less-compatible
child tables will be not distinguishable from zero.)