Re: FATAL: cache lookup failed for function 1003

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: John Summerfield <postgres(at)herakles(dot)homelinux(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: FATAL: cache lookup failed for function 1003
Date: 2007-05-23 23:16:58
Lists: pgsql-sql

John Summerfield <postgres(at)herakles(dot)homelinux(dot)org> writes:
> That (combined with another cvs update) cleared the problem. Should the
> distclean be necessary?

Yes, unless you configured with --enable-depend during your previous
build (and I wouldn't necessarily swear that --enable-depend catches
every possible dependency).

When in doubt --- especially if your build fails but the buildfarm seems
happy --- do a distclean & rebuild before investing any intellectual
effort in figuring out the problem.

My own practice, developed after a couple of unpleasant episodes of this
sort, is to make distclean before any cvs update. Machine cycles are
cheap, my time isn't. I've found that I can generally overlap the
rebuild time with useful work, or at least mail-reading ...