Re: [HACKERS] MAX Query length

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit(at)pop(dot)dn(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] MAX Query length
Date: 1999-07-14 16:02:08
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bernard Frankpitt <frankpit(at)pop(dot)dn(dot)net> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Sure: you want to be able to INSERT a tuple of maximum size. In the
>> absence of dynamically sized text buffers, a reasonable estimate of
>> the longest INSERT command of interest is going to depend on BLCKSZ.

> Perhaps it would be a good idea to increase
> the multiplier in
> #define MAX_QUERY_SIZE (BLCKSZ * 2)
> to something larger than 2.

This entire chain of logic will fall to the ground anyway once we support
tuples larger than a disk block, which I believe is going to happen
before too much longer. So, rather than argue about what the multiplier
ought to be, I think it's more productive to just press on with making
the query buffers dynamically resizable...