Re: A celebrity among us :-)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: A celebrity among us :-)
Date: 2000-05-08 02:46:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Lamar Owen <lamar(dot)owen(at)wgcr(dot)org> writes:
> http://orbiten.org/ofss/01.html for reference.

> Good for grins, if nothing else.

And little else. I think the reason I'm up there is just that there are
a ton of open-source programs that have incorporated libjpeg. AFAICT
the survey just counted copyright notices appearing in open-source
distributions; so if your code appears in N programs you get N times as
much credit as you should. I certainly don't have more lines of open
source circulating than MIT does...

> (Tom, yes I _did_ have to do that... :-) :-) ).

No you didn't... this survey is too bogus to deserve quoting. (If
they're going to treat groups like FSF and the entire UC system as a
single author, and *draw conclusions that are stated as though they
believed FSF and UC are single authors*, what use is it? They have
a lot of work to do.)

regards, tom lane
organizer, Independent JPEG Group