Re: pg_dump: WARNING: could not find operator

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Ed Sabol <edwardjsabol(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_dump: WARNING: could not find operator
Date: 2023-07-11 22:24:35
Lists: pgsql-admin

Ed Sabol <edwardjsabol(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Hello! I'm in the process of migrating some 10.23 database instances to 15.3, and I'm getting these warnings when doing a pg_dumpall on one of the servers:
> pg_dump: WARNING: could not find operator with OID 2234078
> pg_dump: WARNING: could not find operator with OID 2234199

> Is this indicative of a problem that I should fix before running pg_upgrade? If so, how?

> And how do I find out what these OIDs are and what's referencing them?

From a quick look at the pg_dump source code, this is indicative of
dangling links in either pg_operator.oprcom, pg_operator.oprnegate,
or pg_aggregate.aggsortop. With no context it's difficult to guess
how they got there. While you could clean it up manually, pg_dump
is just going to omit those clauses from its output, so there's no
real need to do anything if that outcome is sufficient.