Re: how to best remove version 10 (and keep version 9.5)

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: robert rottermann <robert(at)redcor(dot)ch>, "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: how to best remove version 10 (and keep version 9.5)
Date: 2021-03-13 20:03:04
Lists: pgsql-general

On 3/13/21 11:00 AM, robert rottermann wrote:
> Hi folks
>
> I am running an Ubuntu 18.04 lts remote box.
>
> For some (complicated) reasons I did install PostgreSQL 9.5 alongside
> the already installed V10 instance.
>
> I did set the data_directory to point some disk  “outside” the standard
> /etc/postgresql/9.5/main structure.
>
> Now, what I would like to do is to get rid of one of the two installed
> PostgreSQL versions.
>
> Also there are aliasings like:     /usr/bin/pg_dump ->
> ../share/postgresql-common/pg_wrapper*
>
> I would like to avoid them if possible.

You are using the Debian/Ubuntu packaging and the above is part of that.
Also they are very helpful so you don't want to get rid of them.

> Things are running now with version 9.5 so I tend to prefer to keep it.

From your previous post:

root(at)elfero:~# pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory
Log file
9.5 main 5432 online postgres
/mnt/HC_Volume_8755337/postgresql/9.5/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-9.5-main.log
10 main 5433 down postgres /var/lib/postgresql/10/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-10-main.log

So, the 10 instance is not running and the 9.5 instance is listening on
the default port. At this point I would leave things as they are.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com