Re: PG crash on simple query, story continues

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Maksim Likharev" <mlikharev(at)aurigin(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PG crash on simple query, story continues
Date: 2003-07-08 18:44:53
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-hackers

"Maksim Likharev" <mlikharev(at)aurigin(dot)com> writes:
> ! I would say very interesting aproach,
> ! why not just
> xfrmsize = strxfrm(xfrmstr, NULL, 0);

strxfrm doesn't work that way (and if it did, it would give back a
malloc'd not a palloc'd string).

> !if error happend, xfrmlen will be (size_t)-1

No it won't; see the man page for strxfrm.

This does raise an interesting thought though: what platform are you on?
It seems to me that we've heard of buggy versions of strxfrm that write
more bytes than they're allowed to, thereby clobbering palloc's data
structures.